Earth Day is an annual opportunity to commit to taking steps towards a more sustainable future. Being mindful of water usage is a great way to invest in our community (and planet!) for today and future generations.
Commit to take one action today to conserve and protection our precious drinking water resources.
- Don’t always reach for the hose – water outside only when necessary. Especially during the spring when Mother Nature waters the garden. Water early in the morning or late in the evening to avoid evaporation during the warmest part of the day.
- Take short showers – even little kids can understand the concept of a 5-minute shower. Give them the 5-minute warning as soon as the shower starts! Also install a low-flow shower head.
- Reuse and Recycle – Find ways to reuse water around the home: place a bucket in the shower, water your plants with leftover cooking water, use a rain barrel to save roof runoff.
- Wash only full loads of clothing – or be sure to select the right size cycle. Selecting the right cycle for each load will save water and improve your cleaning results.
- Less suds = less water – use soap that is eco friendly and create less suds. This reduces the amount of water needed to rinse the suds away.