A new eco-friendly trend is hitting the streets and keeping trash and debris out of waterways. Plogging is picking up litter while running/jogging/walking.
The word plogging actually comes from Sweden, blending the Swedish phrase ‘plocka upp’ (meaning ‘pick up’) and ‘jogging’. Keep America Beautiful picked up the trend in 20198 with an inaugural event in Norwalk Connecticut where over 200 ploggers picked up 740 lbs of trash in a fun run.
Here are some tips before you head out!
- Pick a site to plog
- Gather your supplies (gloves, litter grabber, bag for the trash, and of course your reusable water bottle)
- Walk or run! Chat with others to spread the word on how they can make a difference too
- Keep safe while you are collecting litter (such as don’t pick up sharp objects) and always wash your hands when finished
- Dispose of your waste properly
- Share your journey on social media and log your time at monitorwater.org
Litter impacts all of us from our daily life to wildlife and oceans. It is a simple and easy way to reduce plastic in our waterways and protect our drinking water. Let’s empower our communities to help remove litter and debris from the environment and create cleaner and greener spaces for all!