Here are a few simple tips for preventing contaminant spills at car repair or other automotive type shops.
- Cover drains in the work area to stop accidental oil, coolant or anti-freeze spill from flowing down them
- Use drip pans underneath work areas including cars and individual parts to catch drips and spills. Many items can be used as drip pans from plastic totes to metal trays.
- When storing removed engine or drive train parts, sit them on shallow trays or in heavy duty totes to prevent slow drip of oil and coolant onto the floor.
- Never leave engines and parts sitting on grass, soil or gravel!
- Use funnels when filling containers or vehicles – these really do help to stop spills and drips.
- Always have spill kit materials in your work areas to clean up spills as soon as they occur. Spill kits can include absorbent pads and socks, or a granular product such as Oil-Dri or kitty litter.